Sunday, May 01, 2016

Trans Iowa v12: Thank You

Greg Gleason, (red headlamp) and Walter Zitz coming in to the "observation point" 60 miles from the finish
This will pretty much be the wrap up for my Trans Iowa v12 posts this year. Of course, I have a lot to be thankful for this year, and here is the list that I came up with. In no particular order.... I wanna thank you.

  • It's a great success when no one gets seriously injured. So, it wasn't a total success on that front, with that shoulder separation, but there wasn't anything else I am aware of, and for that I am very thankful. This is usually my number one concern about putting on Trans Iowa. 
  • The weather was about as opposite this year as it was last year. Yes......who wouldn't be thankful for that? 
  • Volunteers: I had AWESOME volunteers this year, and I never had to put out the word to get them. Everyone stepped up to the plate and did far and beyond what I could have hoped or asked for. I am beyond thankful for that. Thanks to Alex Poulos, Patrice Parsons, Paul Toigo, Jon Duke, Celeste Mathias, John Mathias, Mike Baggio, Andy Tetmeyer, Steve Fuller, Jeremy Fry, Robert Fry, Dave Roll, Todd Southworth, Mike Johnson, Tony McGrane, and anyone else that assisted along the way.
  • The Grinnell Steakhouse: Wow, these folks are so nice and accommodating to me and the volunteers. You guys are the best! Thank you for the use of the room and all you do. 

MG gettin' his gravel freak on.


Thanks to Matt Gersib, in particular, for driving me around this year. It was such a great day, night, and day with him, and the easing of the load on me was huge. I felt bad Saturday Night/Sunday morning when MG was driving. He looked pretty beat, and I know that time was a struggle. Thanks Brother! You are the best!  

This was the sixth time we've been to the Grinnell Steakhouse for the pre-race meeting.
Thank you to the Grinnell Steakhouse. For six years they have done me a great favor and kindness. Go there for succulent meat and great service. They are good people. 

The start line of T.I.v12
Thanks to the 84 riders that showed up, gave it their all, and made Trans Iowa v12 one for the record books. In no particular order, here is a list of "firsts", and if I miss anything, please let me know in the comments. 
  • First time we've had "co-winners" for a complete Trans Iowa. We've had "co-winners" for a shortened event once before.
  • First time we've had a fat bike finish a Trans Iowa. Balvindar Singh took that honor this year. 
  • First time we've had a Japanese finisher in Keisuke Inoue.
  • First time anyone has seriously threatened the 24hr barrier. Walter Zitz and Greg Gleason came in at 24:01. The previous best Trans Iowa finishes have both been at 25 hours. Consider also that Zitz and Gleason beat second place by over an hour this year!! 
  • Janna Vavra has the most T.I. finishes of any women at three. She was also the first women to finish a T.I. 
  • Longest completed Trans Iowa ever at 340+ miles. I do not have an exact mileage due to the slight variation introduced by the reroute which added a little to the original 339.9 miles. 
  • Most finishers ever at 47! That's more than half the starting field and nearly what the entire field was in several previous Trans Iowa events! 
  • First time a father-son has finished the same Trans Iowa event. Al and Travis Brunner both nabbed finishes at T.I.v12. They may be the only father-son duo to have finished any T.I., but I haven't checked on that yet. I think that is true though. 
 
Couldn't do it without these two guys.
To Wally Kilburg and George Keslin- Thank you! These two are the linchpins of Trans Iowa's prep and imagery production. Two fantastic guys that I have had the distinct privilege to have gotten to know. Thanks isn't enough.

Bikes To You/Craig Cooper: Thank you so much for all of your behind the scenes help and friendship. Many people have no idea how helpful you really are to Trans Iowa and myself. Thanks!!

Thanks to Mike Johnson and Amy Jardon for printing the cues. Thanks for their help also and Dave Roll and Jeremy Fry's for bagging them. What a load taken off by you folks!

Thanks to the anonymous donor of the stickers, hats, and banner for T.I.v12. 

 Thanks to Ben Welnak for facilitating Trans Iowa Radio. I think he posted over 114 calls!!

Thanks for the great sponsors! WTB, Velocity USA, Lederman Bonding, and the Slender Fungus.

Okay, that's a wrap for Trans Iowa v12. Thanks for putting up with this over the past couple of weeks. Now it's time to return to my regularly scheduled blogging!

No comments: