Monday, August 10, 2015

Trans Iowa V12: Thoughts On The Future

The view form the backyard barbeque
Standing in the backyard Sunday while grilling I was staring up into the sky and watching some birds circle around. Zipping and diving this way and that.....

It doesn't really have anything to do with today's post, but I illustrate this moment only to show that it is in times like these that I contemplate stuff like Trans Iowa and where it is going, and ultimately, how the heck I am going to get out of it. 

Now, before I cause any uncertainty, let me assure ya'all that I have every intention of putting on V12. It's just that as the years pile on, I have come to think more and more about how this must end someday. As with any human, I feel it is natural to wonder when activities you are involved with will stop. Or........at least I feel people should consider that. Ya know, we won't be around here forever, so just as things start up, other things end, and those that start up today will end somewhere down the line. There are firsts, and there are lasts. Nothing will escape that. Trans Iowa included. 

 Anyway, I will be 55 when the next Trans Iowa rolls around. That's not "old" by today's standards, and in no way does that preclude me from doing Trans Iowa going forward, but there are other things in life worth pursuing, paying attention to, and planning for that Trans Iowa is drawing energy away from. Then again, I still have fun doing this, and the people I meet make it all worthwhile. Like I posted about last month, the people that come to Trans Iowa make this event what it is. If it weren't for that, Trans Iowa would have been dead a long time ago.

So, it's just a weird balancing act now, but that could change, and I know one thing for sure: I'm closer to the end of Trans Iowa than the beginning of it.

5 comments:

Irishtsunami said...

I thought this would have generated more conversation.

Guitar Ted said...

@Irishtsunami: Nah......everyone probably just thinks I am a rambling old fool and aren't paying any attention. :>)

Tim said...

To me it sounds like a realistic reflection about life and personal choices. Just because something is important and significant doesn't mean it lasts forever. I'm finding many life changes fascinating and freeing as I approach 61.

Michael Lemberger said...

A dozen sure is a nice round number, and not much beats going out on top. Honestly, was a little surprised (though very grateful) that v.11 happened.

Unknown said...

oh to toe the line..........