Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Low Gears For Grindin'

Looking back on how I set up my older gravel road riding rigs, I usually opted for a set up with a 34T low gear in the cassette as a minimum, and in the 9 speed days, one could use Shimano STI levers and a big ol' Shimano long cage derailleur to get the job done. Then things got weirder with a lot of bicycle componentry. The story is long and sordid, so I won't get into that, but now with things going to eleven speed the older ways don't work quite so well anymore.

Take for instance my Raleigh Tamland Two, which runs the newer Ultegra 11 speed stuff. Even with a 32T low in the cassette, the front chain ring is a 36T on the small side, and that is no where near the low gear I needed on my GTDRI last July. Unfortunately, they haven't managed to get the XT level 11 speed stuff out there yet, but when it comes I will be slapping on a 11-36T cassette on that Tamland and then we'll be talking.

Fortunately, Gevenalle, (formerly Retroshift), has made their shifters available in a 10 speed version that works with a Shimano DynSys rear derailleur. That means that at least I can move some of the old 9 speed stuff out and get into 10 speed gear and keep the big gears going out back until the days of 10 speed come to an end. I've got my Vaya set up with an SLX clutch style rear derailleur with these shifters now and so far it has been great. I hope to get some good gravel road miles soon on this set up. Gotta get some fitness back after a January of doom.

9 comments:

Exhausted_Auk said...

My perennial gripe is with the other end of the cassette. When are Shimano or SRAM going to release 11sp cassettes starting at 12T, not 11. The highest gear on my Vaya is currently 44X12, and is hardly ever used. I have no incentive - NONE - to go from 10sp to 11sp if the extra cog will just sit on the end of the cassette gathering dust. Come on, guys, an 11sp 12-30 or 12-32 would be perfect!

Guitar Ted said...

@Exhausted_Auk: Excellent point! I agree and would even go as far as to say that I would trade off a higher geared cog to gain a lower geared one, even if the cassette started with a 13T. Those 11's and 12's are rarely used on my cassettes as well.

Perhaps even spacing the ratios closer together with less speeds. For example- A 9 speed cassette starting at a 13T and ending in a 32T or 34T would give closer spaced jumps between gears, which I appreciate. Shimano seems to agree with this idea as their current DynaSys cassettes feature closer ratios in the middle of the cassette range. Although this is on 10 speed cassettes.

youcancallmeAl said...

Until they do, why not run a triple for events that require the low gears?

Jon Steinhauser said...

I've been running 9 speed 11-32 with a 48-36 in front.This year I'm switching to 44-34, because I noticed I rarely used the smallest cogs in the big chainring.I think the 44t will tighten up the jumps between rear gear changes too. Am I correct in my thinking there?

Barturtle said...

I would be quite happy with a 10sp 14-36 cassette, even paired with a 46/34 or 46/36 crankset, that would be plenty of gear for gravel.

Brian said...

I may well be mistaken, but I believe you can use 10-speed shimano MTB derailleurs with 11-speed Shimano shifters. That was my plan until my 'new in box' ultegra shifters from ebay turned out to be 'new old stock' 10-speed shifters, thus returning my barely-hanging-on 9-speed XT derailleur to service.

Guitar Ted said...

@youcancallmeAl- I could do that, but I would want the latest shifting tech. Have you ridden a current DynaSys triple crank? Amazingly great front shifts. I am spoiled by it. I don't think anyone is doing that with reasonable smaller cogs for a road style crank, but I may well be missing something out there.

@Jon Steinhauser- Running smaller front chain rings will push your choices further down the cassette to maintain similar cadences at specific speeds, so yes. I think you are on to something there. However; it has been shown in studies done on efficiency that using smaller cogs and chain rings is less efficient and of course, your parts will wear out faster.

@Brian: I could try that on my Tamland, but I still would need a lower geared 11 speed cassette.

S.Fuller said...

Agreed on the rear cassettes gearing discussion. I would be happy with a 36-14 or 38-14 with better spacing. If I'm spinning an 11t cog on my gravel rig, I should probably just be coasting at that point as I'm either going downhill, or I'm enjoying a hell of a tail wind.

BluesDawg said...

I wish there were more cranksets available with a small enough BCD to get smaller than 34T small rings. I will use a White Industries VBC crank running 46/30 rings with 11-28 11 speed cassette on my upcoming all around road bike build.